In the Spirit of the Gracious and Compassionate
Creator of the Heavens and the Earth
In the United States of America, every day is a Mass Shooting Day. It is no longer news. It is the new normal. (The “new normal”?! What is this — a fashion statement?) It should never be normal. We need to reject it.
Just as the daily news reports counted the days of the Iran Hostage Crisis, so should we count the days of mass shootings — until we put an end to it. “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.”
- Compulsory schooling is an abomination, extreme oppression, and a form of terrorism. (Compulsory education is impossible; you cannot force people to learn.)
- Young children can barely wait to go to school, and then, as soon as they get there, they cannot wait to leave. For almost all children, school is unpleasant. But they are forced to be there.
- The mentality of our society — from ignoring the desperate and constant crying of our babies, to assuming that subjecting our children to a continuing unpleasantness for 12 or 13 years of their lives — is hateful of human beings.
- Young children belong with their families. Children learn most of what they need to know about the world from their families, and they learn how to socialize with people of various ages and conditions by spending many hours of the days and weeks, months and years, with their families.
- Young children NEED to play. Play is not only very pleasant — WHICH IS A GOOD THING — but it also fosters the physical, emotional, intellectual, and moral development of each individual child, and promotes bonding among groups of children. Children develop the skills of socialization with their age-mates by playing with them.
- As children grow older, they become more and more able to do serious work. From household chores to study and learning, young people are ready and willing to do these things — in a loving, non-oppressive environment.
- Once young people have passed through the transition of puberty, they are ready to join in the responsibilities of adult life — if they have not been traumatized by year after year of compulsory schooling. Wisely governed societies have rituals and ceremonies to acknowledge and celebrate this transition from childhood to adulthood.
- We need to change our entire society, change our way of life — free the adult population from wage-slavery, debt-slavery, consumerism-slavery, passive-infantile-entertainment-slavery, insane-religion-slavery — in order to free our young (and not-so-young) people from the oppressive terrorism of compulsory schooling.
- I thank God that I did not attend a regular high school in New York City. Being confined hour after hour, day after day, with traumatized, thugified post-puberty infantilized brutes would have destroyed me — OR I WOULD HAVE KILLED SOMEBODY.
- Mass Shootings often occur at schools.
- What is repentance? The ancient prophets — from Noah (as reported in the Qur’an) to Jonah to John the Baptist — called on the people to repent. What does that mean? It means changing your way of life.
- This does not happen overnight. We may make our intention in a flash, and commit ourselves to the task of changing. But then we must formulate some plans. “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.”
- Once we commit ourselves to the process of change, we need to accept the fact that it will take many years — several generations, probably — to recover, to heal, from the damage that we have caused ourselves and from the damage that has been inflicted upon us.
- Let us not be like those revolutionary fanatics — whether political or religious, of whatever ideology — who oppress, traumatize, and terrorize people into becoming whatever it is they think people ought to be.
- Considering the abundance of oppressive institutions in our society, is it at all surprising that we are shooting and killing each other?
- Unless we change, it is going to get worse.
- Is your church, mosque, temple, tabernacle, or synagogue addressing issues of importance in the life of the society? Is it an uplifting house of enlightenment and compassion and intelligent commitment to reform and healing and helpfulness? If not, get the hell out.
Unless I hear otherwise, I assume that this day and every day is a Mass Shooting Day.
I started the count Saturday, June 17, 2017. Today is day 0049. Hopefully, we will put an end to this scourge before I run out of numbers.