In the Spirit of the Gracious and Compassionate
Creator of the Heavens and the Earth
In the United States of America, every day is a Mass Shooting Day. It is no longer news. It is the new normal. (The “new normal”?! What is this — a fashion statement?) It should never be normal. We need to reject it.
Just as the daily news reports counted the days of the Iran Hostage Crisis, so should we count the days of mass shootings — until we put an end to it. “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.”
- Does your life mean something — beyond food, clothing, shelter, and sex? Beyond having a bunch of stuff? Beyond having fun with your friends? Beyond impressing people, being impressed by people, or being liked? Does your life consist of doing work that you can’t wait to stop doing, looking forward to quitting time, the weekend, the vacation, your retirement? Is that your life?
- Then, what exactly is lost when someone reaches for a gun?
- If there is nothing worthwhile or sacred in your life, nothing that means anything beyond your own personal needs and desires, then why should your life be sacred to some desperate person who has been pushed beyond the limit?
- If you see nothing worthwhile or sacred in other people’s lives, nothing that means anything beyond their own personal needs and desires, then why would you expect their lives to be sacred to them when they feel pushed beyond the limit?
- The people church-goers claim to follow saw human live as sacred and meaningful, beyond the basic animal needs and desires. What went wrong?
- If you go to church for the music — or some other form of entertainment — why not stop being dishonest and go where you really want to go? The presence of your body at the service is a quiet testimony to whatever doctrine is espoused. Is it what you actually believe?
- Is your church, mosque, temple, tabernacle, or synagogue addressing issues of importance in the life of the society? Is it an uplifting house of enlightenment and compassion and intelligent commitment to reform and healing and helpfulness? If not, get the hell out.
Unless I hear otherwise, I assume that this day and every day is a Mass Shooting Day.
I started the count Saturday, June 17, 2017. Today (August 8, 2017) is day 0053. Hopefully, we will put an end to this scourge before I run out of numbers.