In the Spirit of the Gracious and Compassionate
Creator of the Heavens and the Earth
In the United States of America, every day is a Mass Shooting Day. It is no longer news. It is the new normal. (The “new normal”?! What is this — a fashion statement?) It should never be normal. We need to reject it.
Just as the daily news reports counted the days of the Iran Hostage Crisis, so should we count the days of mass shootings — until we put an end to it. “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.”
- In this society, money is God.
- People call themselves Christians, Muslims, Jews, or believers of some sort in the God who created the entire vastness of the cosmos — but in their everyday lives, money is God. Money determines how they live, where they live, who they associate with, and how they think about each other.
- Even people who call themselves atheists have the same God as most everyone else. In this society, money is God.
- And human life is trivial.
- If the Great Altar of Wall Street lost a hundred points every day, the society would be in a frenzy. Stock market collapses! Run for the hills!
- But, there is a Mass Shooting every day. No big deal.
- The people church-goers claim to follow saw human live as sacred and meaningful, beyond the basic animal needs and desires. What went wrong?
- The prophets were opposed to serving false gods. Money is a false god. Look at how serving the false god of money is ruining human society.
- Is your church, mosque, temple, tabernacle, or synagogue addressing issues of importance in the life of the society? Is it an uplifting house of enlightenment and compassion and intelligent commitment to reform and healing and helpfulness? If not, get the hell out.
Unless I hear otherwise, I assume that this day and every day is a Mass Shooting Day.
I started the count Saturday, June 17, 2017. Today (August 10, 2017) is day 0055. Hopefully, we will put an end to this scourge before I run out of numbers.